Summer Junior Competitive Program
Long Island Rowing offers elite junior rowers an intensive training program that will prepare rowers to compete in the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta in St. Catherines, Ontario, and the Summer Club Nationals in NJ. Members from all high school rowing teams are welcome. This program is only for experienced; motivated; hard working individuals. We offer sweep and sculling boats but no eights.Training:
- Intense cardio / cross training workouts ( rowing in small boats / circuit training/ cardio training + ERG training and testing
- Long rows – focus on technique and heart rate monitored workouts
- Video “surveillance” – once a week minimum each and every athlete will be videotaped and analyzed
Participants need to have:
- Heart rate monitor
- “bill” of health from your doctor
- Right clothes & training equipment
I do not require a certain erg score to qualify for the program. If you choose to attend the program you will have to row in ALL kinds of boats. You cannot attend a week and the take off a week and start again. You can choose to only race for one or two races but it has to be the first two races of the season.
*Boats seating are COACHES decisions only.
* Minimum experience 1-year of rowing (expectations are possible for extra talented athletes)
The regatta fee will vary depending on the number of participants, travel method and hotel accommodations required. Each regatta fee will be estimated in advance of each regatta and finalized upon return from the regatta.
Structure of the Competitive Racing program:
In the last week in June we will do an intensive training camp in Saratoga, NY.
- Independence Day Regatta July 5-7 on the Schuylkill River; Philadelphia, PA
- Club Nationals July 10-14 on the Cooper River in Camden County, NJ
- Royal Canadian Henley, Ontario Canada August 4-11.
- First day: June 1
- Till the end of the school year will we practice in the afternoons AND weekends
- Attendance is mandatory but adjustments for finals & regents can be made
- Scrimmages with other teams throughout the summer
June training times:
- 3:30-6:30(7)pm M-F
July –August training times:
We train from 8:30am -3:30pm M-F + evening practice (voluntary)
•Travel and hotel are the responsibility of the athlete
•Passing the swimming test given on the first day of camp
•Registration is online
Junior Competitive Program:
- Runs at the same time as the Competitive Program but DOES NOT travel
- Will hold friendly scrimmages with other teams
- Video analysis
- Same time frame as the Competitive program; Starts in June but ends in the first week of August BUT you can choose individualy to only row for a month or two or for a few weeks.
- Motivated, hardworking athlete
- Swim test
- Needs to learn Sweep & Sculling
- Wearing the right equipment & clothes
- Especially good for novice rowers who want to get in shape but do not have the necessary experience for the Summer Competitive Program
- Purpose of the program: develop a race ready fall rower who would like to be better then he or she was in the fall; somebody who wants to move to the next level of rowing – the elite level